Submitted: 07-25-2002 by RP

My wife and I have been delighted with our Telkwa Sport but on our last trip off the West Coast of Vancouver Island we experienced a safety concern with how the rudder cable wire eyes are finished. One cable came out of its taped end at the rudder end, and the next day on the other kayak the loop came undone at the cockpit adjustment strap end. Our kayaks are 6 years old; fibreglass and when I contacted the designer/manufacturer he told me that about 100 boats were made without realizing that the nicropress sleeves were nickel-plated, not copper and they managed to successfully recall most of them and replace the faulty joints. But if any reader has a Telkwa Sport of our vintage, check the condition of all rudder cable eyes; if the taped joint seems swollen and bulbous, then that's the sign that there's a nickel-plated sleeve corroding under there and it should be replaced immediately.

I'd also like to commend the Nimbus line on its exceptional finish - the inside of the boat is as smooth as the outside, thanks to their vacuum-bagging techniques in molding the fibreglass. I can stuff my tent, wet sacks etc into the storage spaces without any fear of a fibreglass snag ripping anything.