Submitted: 07-24-2002 by Steve

My first Kayak was a Swifty. I will say that it had tremendous initial stability, and for the price it is a good "poking around boat," or good for families wishing to paddling the local park pond. However, for more efficient paddling, it lacks quite a bit. It has a tremendous amount of drag, and the tracking is affected if one paddles fairly hard. We took a Swifty and an Acadia out on a major lake, about 200 feet off shore, with about 1 1/2 feet waves coming into shore. The Acadia gracefully slid over the waves and was a joy to handle. The Swifty plowed through them with wake splashing the paddler and it was obvious that the Swifty paddler was paddling much harder than the Acadia paddler. I have moved up now to larger touring boats, but I still love to paddle my Acadia on small rivers. I did sell the Swifty as soon as I found somebody to buy it. It's a boat that you will outgrow so fast, why not spend the money on something like a Carolina or Acadia? Happy paddling!