Submitted: 07-24-2002 by JRS

The Alsek is a great boat. It is light weight, affordable, and the Nordic-style bow and flared forward hull keep the bow above water in the Ocean or in heavy chop. Having a bulkhead in rear and none up front allows the flexibility of hauling plenty of cargo safe and dry, but being able to fishing rods or other long objects belowdecks. I have paddled mine for the last seven years alone around the Outer Banks, as well as inland rivers and lakes of NC. Twice, I took week-long trips in the everglades along the Gulf of Mexico. Not only could I pack my fair share of food, clothing and water, but I had no trouble keeping up with the 16 footers in my group. The loosely hinged stainless rudder defies jamming, and the system has never required repair. Also, the 14 foot size is very maneuverable in narrow passages through tidal estuaries and other intriguing tight places. You MUST NOT leave the boat in a position which may misshape the hull, particulary when in the hot sun. It's not fiberglass, but it is a great boat for the rotomolded plastic pocketbook.

Sealline: