Submitted: 07-23-2002 by TimW

This PFD is a mix of good and less good qualities. I wanted a vest with lots of pockets for emergency and quick-grab items. The Frog has a long pocket on one side of the front, big enough for the VHF radio, and two smaller ones on the other side, for whatever else you want on hand. The "radio" pocket and one smaller pocket close with zippers, while the other small pocket closes with a Velcro flap. These and a wide-range adjustable fit are the pluses. The minuses are the light fabric used in construction and the fact that the jacket is just a tiny tad long for working with a spray skirt. Also, it only comes in dark green, so it doesn't help your visibility. It's an affordable unit, probably retailing under $50. The pockets make it very functional, so for light use when you still want a jacket capable of holding survival gear if you get separated from your boat it may be a good choice. If you use it more heavily, you just may need to replace it more often than a beefy cordura model. I also had to add an accessory patch to attach my knife. I hand-sewed one made of 2-inch flat webbing to the left shoulder area. If I found a PFD with similar pockets, factory-installed accessory patches, a better color and more durable materials, I would buy it. Unfortunately, I have not seen one yet.