Submitted: 07-22-2002 by matt swain

This is our first kayak, so all I can compare it to are the rentals I've used. It is not fast, but it is STABLE. And remember, I'm comparing to rentals here, where the renter has a vested interest in safety. This thing is so stable, I've been able to stand up in it, just to see. We haven't packed it with a full load yet, but in the twelve outings we've had, it's handled my wife in the front, our three year old daughter behind her (comfortably between my ankles), and me in the rear. My wife and I put it together and take it apart in 20 to 30 minutes, then pack it in the back of a Ford Escort station wagon. We have fit the kayak, and a full four days camping supply in the back of that small car (nothing strapped on top) along with our daughter in her car seat (still comfortably in the center). What more could you want from a compact portable kayak? Quality looks good, even after a little surf time and an occaisional encounter with submerged rocks. The only reason I don't give this more than an 8 out of 10 is due to the inevitable trade off of stability and durability for performance. Yes, it's a bit slow.