Submitted: 07-22-2002 by ClaireNyce

I bought this boat in November 2001, planning to use it on lakes, mild surf, and easy rivers. It is terrific for these uses and more. It is easy to roll - it practically comes up by itself. I have never had a problem getting this boat to go straight, and was out with a friend who had a smaller rented boat that she was paddling in circles. She was about to give up in frustration when we switched boats. Instantly, she was cruising upstream against a 5 mph current without any problems, saying "I love this boat".

At first I didn't have any issues with the backband, but as I have done longer, higher mileage days, and become a more skilled and agressive paddler, I agree that the band is not very comfortable - I keep it loose enough I don't touch it. I haven't found the skeg to be very useful, and in high winds the boat blows around some. I have had problems with water getting in the hatch (leaky bulkhead?), and I sunk the boat early on with a wet exit. Stern flotation is a must! I almost lost a foot peg in that same incident, they come off the track, so I put screws in the front of the track to keep the pegs from slipping off. This has worked well and I can still adjust the pegs using my feet.

I have done an overnight campout, with plenty of room for gear, and the boat still handled really well; some lake paddling, and lots of paddling in the easy sections of the Colorado river, both upstream and down. I am 5'8" and 140lbs. I am very happy with the Crossover, and would recommend it highly.

Lasso Security Cables: