Submitted: 07-18-2002 by RSO

I bought 2 cape horns-one rotomolded and one kevlar. The kevlar one is last years model without the phase 3 seat. It had the fault of bolts from the outside which were unshielded and which cut my legs and feet quite nastily until I got them taped over, which fixed the problem. The current years model [my rotomolded boat is the current model] has the phase 3 seat, which I find wonderfully comfortable and supportive for anyone with back problems, and has corrected the unshielded bolt problem. It has sturdier rigging too, which I would count as a minor fault on the last year's model. Both kayaks are great to paddle, stable and seaworthy and track pretty well without rudders. Both suffer the leaking hatch problem, which I am going to take up with the dealer to see if there is a gasket or other solution available. Apart from the hatches leaking both boats do well in chop and I think they are great in spite of their shortcomings. The key is their first class hull design.