Submitted: 07-18-2002 by BJ

This is my second post, and a follow up to the previous one. I have discovered many things about this kayak. The Bulk Heads are an awesome feature. This eliminates the need for floatation bags. When the kayak is completely submerged, it will still float... however the large cockpit will require an enormous amount of stamina to pump out if you have to perform a self rescue. The rescue of choice for this kayak (besides any that will keep you safe) is a T-rescue. This rescues is the best way to drain most of the water out before getting back in.

This boat does really well on all sorts of flat water. Rivers with a strong current are ok, but because the boat is slow, don't expect to cover many miles in an hour against the current.

I recently had the opportunity to take it for a spin on the open ocean. I went with a bunch of 16 - 20 ft. kayaks and several very experienced paddlers. This boat kept up, but I was doing 3-4 strokes for every 1 of theirs, just to keep up. However... coastal exploration is where this boat really shines. I was able to land on barnacle and seaweed covered rocks, no problem. The swells were 1-2 feet, and breaking. This boat could handle slightly larger swells, but it is not recommended. However, stick close to shore and you will have an awesome time exploring the nooks and crevices if you can find them. You may even get this kayak to surf the breakwater a little.

I actually padded the cockpit to fit much better, because it is a large cockpit.

So far I have been very impressed with this little boat. I definitely recommend it as a first boat. I plan on keeping mine for flatwater and rock play, but maybe getting a 16' for open water kayaking.