Submitted: 07-16-2002 by Congero

The Crossover is my first kayak, and it has been a great kayak to learn in. It's easy to roll, and it turns on a dime (compared to touring or recreational kayaks).

The tracking is improved with the skeg, however you should only need it in the wind.

The skeg really helps the learning curve. I depended on it at first, but needed it less as my technique improved.

There is ample storage for a 2-3 day trip (if you have light-weight/low-volume camping gear). I have only been on class 1 rivers, but I would feel comfortable running class 2 with this boat. Personally, I don't think my skill level is advanced enough to take a 12'6" boat down class 3 (shorter whitewater boat will be my next purchase).

I definitely recommend this boat, if you want a short touring boat that can handle some whitewater. For the record, I'm 5'9", weigh 180 lbs, and have size 10 feet. The boat fits great.

Yak Pads: