Submitted: 07-16-2002 by Congero

I bought a Perception Carolina about 3 months ago. I have owned a Dagger Crossover for a year, and was looking for a light touring kayak that could haul more camping gear.

The Carolina handles well. The rudder is useful in the wind, and I would definitely recommend it if you plan on crossing large bodies of water.

The bulkheads work well, and the kayak fits well (I'm 5'9" @ 180lbs, size 10 shoe). I installed hip pads, which really help when putting the kayak on edge.

My only complaint(and it's a big one) is the plastic. After a month, the kayak already developed an oil can. The plastic scratches too easily, and it already looks as bad as my year old Dagger. The Dagger Crossover can be used in class 1-2 whitewater use, so I can see where the Dagger plastic would be stronger. However, I have serious doubts about the longevity of the Carolina.

I will definitely enjoy the Carolina while it lasts, but I will not buy any plastic boats from Perception in the future.