Submitted: 07-16-2002 by CW

I just bought a Stearns IK 116. I was laughed at by several kayak vendors, who told me I would be disappointed in inflatables in general. I think the IK 116 performs as well as a short hardshell kayak. It feels more stable( or seems to because it's like a large innertube), tracks and manuvers well and is very comfortable. It literally unpacks and inflates in under 5 minutes with a foot pump. Don't use a battery operated one, it doesn't top off the kayak pressure very well.

The only two downsides are 1.) the sagging of the built in spray skirt as mentioned in a previous review( easily remedied by putting a pool noodle, you know those neon color styrofoam tubes that kids play with, underneath the spray skirt to prop it up.) and 2.) the fact in has to dry before storage ( to avoid mildew/mold issues). I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a cheap portable boat.