Submitted: 07-15-2002 by DaveT

Just got our black/gold Northwoods about two weeks ago. Sharon & I had been paddling a Sundowner 18 which we both disliked. The Northwoods was a fantastic change! I cruises very fast for a tripper, turns extremely easily when loaded and flat. But most importantly it holds course like a dream. Even in a stiff wind we could keep our direction without having to switch repeatedly or by doing a lot of correction strokes. We just finished a four day trip on the Chippewa Flowage in WI and played in powerboat wakes. I have never had a canoe that felt so stable in wakes. Head-on, angled, following, or broached, the Northwoods is VERY stable. We paddled it loaded and empty and found that it handles solidly at all times. My old Sundowner always had a transition period when waves slid under the hull (especially quartering waves) when it felt a bit unsettled. The Northwoods is designed so there appears to be no flat surface for the waves to catch and produce this feeling. I give the tripper a 10+ for performance.

Looks are another 10+!! Black/gold with a bow slider and aluminum trim. It is 5 pounds lighter than the wood trim model. An absolutely beautiful canoe.