Submitted: 07-11-2002 by pbounds

I will agree with everyone who's posted, Necky does make some great kayaks. I got an Alsek, kinda a precursor to the Zoar Sport a few years back and to me it is a quality boat. the Neckys track extremely well, and I for one, like the dolphin bow, for breaking big surf. I will admit however if you are paddling into the wind, you should go ahead and drop the rudder, becuase the raised bow does have a tendency to go with the whims of the wind, other than that, I am a super happy Necky user. Last year I also purchased a Santa Cruz. With the large cockpit, it gets those who feel trapped in the smaller std sized kayak keyholes. It also has the raised bow, and breaks surf great. You will want to go ahead and get the expedition model on this one as well, to give you an adequate dry storage in back. The huge front bow on both the Santa Cruz and Alsek, and Zoar model, will allow you to remove the airbag, and stick a couple of sleeping bags in dry bags up there as well, doubling your storage capacity. The S/C aside from being a great entry level boat, has great secondary stability with its' chined sides. The boat will track effortlessly, but also be able to turn on a dime much quicker than the large touring boats. As far as customer service goes, I have had no problem getting in touch with any of the guys at Necky for ordering extra trimlock, which I also fixed some of my old Perceptions with. Generally all round, great boats, super company.