Submitted: 07-05-2002 by JAL

I purchased the Pamlico Excel this spring (without the rudder), and absolutely love it. Iíve been using it on our calm sections of Idaho rivers and lakes. I found our Keowee was very popular whenever we went out with a large group that included rafts, canoes, and kayaks, and that the kayaks were very stable, very fast, and able to handle the wind much better than the other crafts. After hours of research on the Web, I concluded that the Excel would be the best replacement for the canoe, allowing me the ability to carry two adults, very stable, lots of storage room, and able to go up the Snake River or down the Snake. Iíve been out 4 times in the past 2 weeks, in a variety of conditions, ranging from no wind, no current to 20 mph wind and chop. The Excel was perfect in all of those conditions. We were able to go 3 miles up stream, and then come back with the current and against the wind. Iím 200 lbs, and with about 75 lbs of gear in my Excel, and riding solo, I was able to go the same speed as my 13 year old in a Keowee with no gear. The Excel handled great, and was totally dry. All of my trips have been in fairly slow moving water, or still water, with one section of faster wateróbut still not any white water. As I mentioned, I have split all of my trips between going up stream and down stream, so I could start and stop at the same point on the Snake. The only disadvantage is the weight of the boat out of the water. At 87 lbs, itís a lot for one person, but no problem for two. On the water, itís fast solo or tandem, very stable, and the best kayak or canoe Iíve ever used. The new Phase 3 seats are very comfortable, there is plenty of room, the foot rests are great, speed is excellent, it goes straight and smooth, it is well made, and the hardware is very good.