Submitted: 07-03-2002 by CAROLINAWHITE

Being a long time(30+ year) canoer I wanted something that I could solo paddle in. I looked at/tried out many small/medium sized yak's and knew I had found what I wanted when I sat in a America Basic at Galyans. They really made up my mind when they put it on clearance. I am a little larger than average, 6'4-230#, and find the overall fit to be excellent-with the exception of the seatback. But that is a common thing for me at my height. I have since made a new one from marine plywood, bending it with steam. I also made my own rudder for it as it does windvane if given the chance. A small price to pay for the excellent tracking due to length. My yellow Basic is so stable I would rather be in it than one of my canoes! I bought it early May 02' and have been out with it about a dozen times on everything from flat water to mild rapids to Lake Michigan. My spray skirt gets used only when there are waves. The large cockpit and my 240 cm paddle keep the water out just fine. I thought that having a Basic would it would be hard to stow gear but I dry bag everything so I just put them up forward or aft of the seat and all done. So manueverable and a breeze to paddle all day long. I just came back from an up/down river trip of over 30 miles that still has me smiling. It goes on and off the top of my Saturn wagon so easily I can't believe it. Overall I have to give my America Basic a 9 out of 10. A 9 due to the seatback and I don't believe that anything is perfect. Well done Perception!

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: