Submitted: 06-28-2002 by LeeG

Finally finished this little sea kayak from a partial kit cut plywood only for $375 since I had misc. amounts of glass and epoxy around. 16'x21", fourpanel hull (hard-chine), four panel deck, slightly British looking from a distance with the upturned ends. With my weight, 190lbs, the boat is pretty much maxed out for day use. I gave it a quick spin in 15mph+ winds and little 6" waves. Slight weathercocking easily corrected, this is a nice predictable handling slippery hull shape. Not quite as maneuverable as an Arctic Tern 14, more so than a Chesapeake 16, faster than both. I'll get back on handling in bigger waves when I find some, it looks like a low boat in the way a Caribou is to the water, except with a bit more foot room forward. This ones for a friend on the west coast so it's a bit overbuilt with doubled layers of 4oz s-glass on the hull and doubled 4oz e-glass on the deck, single and double layers of 4oz s-glass on the interior as needed. I don't know how much it weighs, 42lbs maybe. With my weight in that little breeze it felt like 25mph wind wouldn't be much of a problem, there's something nice about being "in" the water with smaller boats when it's windy. Directions are good, read them, nothing out of the ordinary if a person has built a s&g kayak before.

NRS: