Submitted: 06-06-2002 by billclay

My wife and I borrowed a coworker's Crosswind for a weekend at a small NY state lake, and we loved it. We are as-novice-as-novice-gets paddlers, and we had an easy time with the Crosswind. We used the rudder extensively, of course, and it tracked great, although it took me a while to get used to the counter-intuitive pedal-work (if I want to go right, I want to press the left pedal!). The weight was not much of an issue, because it was still manageable to manoeuver it onto and off of the car. It stayed securely on the car using just a simple foam-block car-top carrier for 90+ miles on the highway, at up to 75 mph. Plenty of storage room, too (with the two bulkheads), although we only carried a dry bag with a towel and camera in the storage compartment. A special note: I was impressed by the fact that I was able to get up, turn around, and kneel on my seat to fish that dry-bag out of the rear hatch while we were on the water... that's a V-E-R-Y stable hull!