Submitted: 06-03-2002 by djl

I love this little boat. I'm 6' 220 and my wife is 5'4" and half my weight. We tried tons of boats (138 Loons, Crossover Dagger, Pungo) in search of a recreational kayak that could do a little more. To our surprise, we settled on the same boat, the Tyon. My wife's a beginner and I'm an advanced novice. With a weight capacity of over 300 pounds, my wife sits pretty high in her boat while I am much deeper in the water. The hull design provides good (not great) intitial stability but get this thing going and it carves through the water more like an "old fashioned" whitewater boat. Lean it and it turns on a dime compared to other rec yaks.

It might not be a perfect marriage between a short cruiser, little fishing boat, and class II or III whitewater boat, but it's close. With the Liquidlogic skirt, I hit a couple of two foot standing waves today and the water rolled right off the skirt and my face. I've heard that the loon big skirts and others tend to collapse, so far, I think the Logic folks have solved this one for this very roomy cockpit. As mentioned in my other review of the Saluda, the seat adjustment system is a great idea but needs some fine tuning. The height adjustment works great. The forward or backward lean requires something to take-up the slack in the adjustment webbing. I used a biener with about 4 twists. Works great now. The seat moves forward and backward but isn't the easiest thing to do on my boat. With my 220 pounds, I think it is better for me to be just a little to the rear of the mid adjustment position. My wife who's 110 can be a little further forward. Move too far foward and the nose of the boat submarines a little too much. I like to ride low and punch through the rapids and that's what the Tryon does well. If you want to stay on top of it all, try the Saluda. If you want to get into it a little, the Tryon is for you if you're my size.

I was planning on buying a used high volume whitewater boat. Now, I think I'll stick with the Tryon for quite a while. A friend of mine just bought a 14' Wilderness Systems boat two weeks ago and he paddled a Liquidlogic today on some class I and II and is buying one ASAP.