Submitted: 06-03-2002 by DJL

I had been looking for a rec kayak but have some whitewater experience that has made me reluctant to buy any of the super stable boats (e.g., Loon 138 or Pungo). I want it all, just like many paddlers but want a stable boat that turns well, has good rigging, has a bulkhead.... etc. etc. I've paddled both the Tryon (which I now own) and the Saluda. The Saluda is a really stable boat for me at 6' + and 220. It doesn't turn quite as well as my Tryon but if you want more speed and aren't so concerned with quick turns.. Give the Saluda a try. The rear "dry" compartment is 98% dry under even extreme conditions but don't put your newspaper back there. The size of the rear compartment and the well designed (and secured) hatch cover are very effective, even upside down. Trust me on this. Lean this boat and watch it turn faster than other rec kayaks in it's class. The adjustable back rest has a nylon strap that is too long for the intended purpose. I added a "biener" with a few twists to take up the slack on the starbord side of the seat. Now the seat adjusts very well. The Saluda is even more effortless to paddle than the Tyon but not as maneuverable in tight quarters.