Submitted: 05-30-2002 by krwahl63
I bought not one but two kayaks IK-116's from a local marine outlet (kayaking in tandem with a signicant other is not a good idea if you wish for them to remain so). At first I was skeiptical about the inflatable for the obvious reasons. I researched the product, went to the store and scoped it out and figured that I would try it.

The first time, I inflated it at home because the idea of doing so in public for the first time was not a great idea. I learned all of the quirks in this manner and moved on.

The second time, I re-inflated and dropped her in the water. I had a ball. She turns easily, goes nice and straight, and when necessary, stops on a dime.

The one thing I discovered is that the "sprak skit" can sag and will drip into your lap through the zipper. To remedy this little problem, I made up a "T" structure with some 1X2 and eased the edges with a router. I placed rags on any potential puncture areas and then placed the "T" under my knees when paddling. This provides a bit of a tent so the water rolls off the skirt.

Other than the one skirt issue, a wonderful product, well put together, and a blast to paddle. I am off today, so the plan is to go use it right now.