Submitted: 05-30-2002 by G. Baldwin

I recently purchased a Tarpon after doing considerable research. After learning the ropes on an O.K. Drifter, I wanted a new kayak that possessed very good straight ahead speed and performed very much like a sit inside touring/sea kayak. The Tarpon was recommended to me over the Perception Illusion, and I am very satisfied so far. It is quiet, fast, glides beautifully, turns OK without a rudder and performs well in choppy water. My only disappointment is the "built in" seat that comes with it. It is not uncomfortable, just seems a little "chintzy". I ordered back straps for my usual seatback, so I can use that instead of what came with the Tarpon. I get a lot of compliments on the Bermuda color scheme, and it's obvious people consider I have a premium rig under me. All in all, I am very, very happy with the Tarpon, and recommend it to anyone seeking speed, glide, good looks and performance as close as you're gonna get to a long, slim decked kayak!