Submitted: 05-29-2002 by Dr John Peebles

I have been paddling plastic boats for twelve years. My most recent plastic boat was the 17'2" Perception Eclipse (Sea Lion). This past March I purchased the Current Designs 14'1" fiberglass Pachena DX. I walked into the showroom and bought it on the spot (no test ride). It was a beautiful boat just hanging on the wall; but, the proof was in the paddling. I have paddled this boat in nearly every conceivable weather condition over the three months; This boat is a dream! I weigh #225 and am 6'1" tall. There is more than enough leg room, I have not needed to use the rudder yet (even in 30 MPH gusts), you can use binoculars to veiw wildlife without toppling over into the water, and (yes) you can even take a snooze in it without toppling over into the water! I paddle on eastern Lake Ontario and on the St Lawrence river in northern New York;so, the weather conditions for paddling can get quite gruesome - this boat can handle all of it! I do not feel that I have sacrificed anything by moving to this smaller craft. I do feel that I have gained the stability that I was looking for (and was never able to find in the Eclipse). I can't wait to try one of Current Designs bigger boats (the Solstice). And for that reason I will give this boat a nine (9) so that I can leave some room for improvement. Overall, if you are looking for a boat that can handle a medium sized to an extra-large body, yeilds excellent primary and secondary stability, tracks well, is light weight, good looking, resonably fast, and allows the paddler to use a camera, binoculars, or just plain take a nap - then this boat is worth every penny that you spend on it.