Submitted: 05-28-2002 by LeeG

I built a Coho three yrs ago for a friend and am continually pleased with the design as a big touring sea kayak. Unfortunately he's not a high volume person so the boat is more than needed for a 150lb person day paddling. I weigh 190 at 5'9" and think it's too big for my day paddling needs. The cockpit opening is quite large where a keyhole cockpit would have thigh braces so make sure and install thigh braces. With good outfitting and thigh braces the boat can be tossed around easily. Had the chance to enjoy the boat with a few others last fall in waves at Assateague and was quite pleased with it's performance, yes it's a long boat that will broach into side surfing but the transitions are all smooth and controllable. For a 23" wide boat it's quite efficient and more than "fast" enough. As much as I like my Express better in that stuff I could get up and move the Coho faster out of it. This is one of those boats that can go with or without a rudder according to the paddlers' preferences.