Submitted: 05-28-2002 by fishingpool

I have paddled the Mohawk Solo 14 three times now. 8hrs. at Julington creek off the Saint John’s river. Large open area, 15mph wind, it handled a light chop and motorboat wakes with no problem, dry ride and very stable. Also paddled a very small lake about 5hrs, 15mph wind no problem paddling into the wind. 7hrs. on the Saint Mary’s river, narrow very twisty river. Lots of lay down trees and sandbars its like running a Salomon, the Solo 14 turns on a dime ( due to 1/12” to 2” rocker). I am very satisfied with this canoe we don’t have much white water in Florida so I won’t be rock bashing much but after bashing all the lay down trees in the Saint Mary’s river the R-84 skin was barely scratched. If you plan to do a lot of class 3 and up white water you may want full Royalex but then Mohawk makes lots of WW canoes.

Mohawk can place the seat any were you want, I left mine at there normal placement thinking my fishing gear and or camping gear would trim the canoe and be in front of me where I like to have it. I did lower the seat 1” to add some closed cell foam for padding. and for $3.00 they have a plate to lower the seat even more. This placement works ok but I may move the seat forward a little or just carry more gear. You will be able to solo fish and camp with this canoe for a weekend or maybe a week if you use light gear. The Solo 14 is not the fastest or the prettiest of the three canoes I test paddled but it is fast enough for me.