Submitted: 05-16-2002 by softsmithjr
Demo'ed the Cape Horn 17 Pro (Glass) along with the Perception Eclipse, Looksha Tachea (sp) and a Serenity - Gale Force winds on a small lake - The Cape Horn was the only boat I could turn easily in that wind without using the rudder - The following weekend I demo'ed the Cape Horn 17 in plastic and found the plastic version which is several pounds heavier to handle very much like the Pro with a much smaller price tag. The cockpit is a bit smaller but even at 6'1" 260 lbs I am quite comfortable however I am not sure how easy it will be to extract myself in an emergency escape situation. Unlike my composite boat I will have no qualms about running this one right up on the beach or have any fear of rock gardens. The day hatch for my keys and compass mount are a definite plus but the real selling point outside of the boats ability to track and turn well is the Phase 3 Seat - only seat that I am aware of that will conform to my exact seat back height requirements - did I mention that I bought it!

Kayak Covers of Charleston: