Submitted: 05-15-2002 by joematrix_2000

Agronaut - I've been paddling an Explorer, but wanted a boat with a little more cockpit room. I looked at the Explorer HV, but the quality of the Valley boat made my final decision. After taking it out just a few times I'm not disappointed. Some observations: the workmanship is exceptional - great detailing. The Explorer was faster under full steam. It cut the water just a bit better than the Argonaut. After a few more trips I'm sure I'll adjust. Cockpit is very comfortable for 6'2" 240#. The position of the skeg slider and a slightly raised design needs attention. As it is knuckles catch (ouch!) on it when I'm really paddling. Also, due to the position of the slider the tube for the cable is position precisely where my knee hits the side of the boat. A little padding will solve this, but moving the slider from slightly in front to slightly behind the cockpit would cure two problems. Boat doesn't turn as well as the Explorer, but again my experience with it will probably modify that opinion. Highly recommened for larger paddlers - you will be comfortable.