Submitted: 05-08-2002 by John

I took my Lost Pond 10 out on a windy lake and up a wind-protected river. It performed well in both circumstances. This was only my second time to use it, the first time in good weather. The lake was just beginning to turn to whitecaps, but the Hornbeck was great going into the wind. The bow raises beautifully to meet the waves, and the entry is fine enough to split the waves, rather than splashing them into my face. Holding a 45 degree angle was also no problem. This tracks great for its length.

A beginner would not like the primary stability (or lack thereof) but it is fine as you are sitting on the floor of the kayak. I used a OT Blacklight paddle and it worked very well. Not a fancy paddle, but light, inexpensive, and very functional. When I finally turned and went with the wind, the fun factor dropped. There was never a problem; I just like facing into waves.

In the protected water, the canoe showed surprising speed for its length. I think the fine entry has much to do with that. I have paddled some blunt bowed kayaks recently such as the Dagger Blackwater and this was more rewarding, though I cannot say for sure that it was faster. The 17 pounds is incredibly nice going on and off the car. The kevlar work is very nice. I cannot complain about any of its performance characteristics, as they are as much as one could hope for in this size of canoe.

The only complaint, and thus the score of 9, is the seat. It was fine for almost an hour, but that isn't long enough. I'll take a gel seat with me next time.

I'll report back after I have tried it on a river. I plan to adapt some extra flotation before I do.

Harken: