Submitted: 05-08-2002 by Darren

A new kayak from VCP. I've been paddling for a couple of years and had the opportunity to get my hands on this as a demonstrator with 1/3 off price.

The boat handles well and is really stable - good for an intermediate like myself. Tracks really well although sacrifices some nimbleness in return. The skeg works perfectly enabling me to adjust according to the wind with uncanny accuracy. It can haul a fair sized load. We went on a recent 4 day trip. My partner paddles a P&H Capella and I ended up carrying the team food, tent, stove, pans etc while her boat was full with just personal kit (and she wasn't overdoing it!) and I had room to spare.

Finish seems perfect - time will tell how durable but seems to be spot on. I have however only scored it a 9 as the lack of a keel strip as standard leaves the vulnerable fibreglass open to damage. You can of course get this fitted (extra cash though). Hatches are actually air tight! You can see the rubber hatch covers expand if it sits in the sun. Perfectly dry - 100% - after 4 days on the water.

Experts will probably want something more edgy like the Nordkapp, but for an improving intermediate who wants a serious "proper" boat which can carry a good amount of gear, this is definitely worth considering.

Silverfish