Submitted: 05-06-2002 by Richard Bear

I bought a Micro Poke Boat (7'9", 17 lbs) last winter, because of the attraction of being able to one-hand it out of the garage and into the back of my "RV" -- a little Toyota pickup. Have spent many winter days on flat water fishing from it, now, even in snow, and for this purpose it is superb. The high sides are good protection from wind, and the shallow draft gets you into places no other boat can reach. I accidentally got into some standing waves near at the base of a huge dam after a surprise high wind began opposing the current there; this was was class III water. If there had been rocks I might have been killed, so I don't recommend river running with this thing; however, it handled the situation beautifully, and when it was all over I found the entire interior was dry in spite of the huge cockpit. I really, really love this boat! I also have a Critter, which is not at all bad (and MUCH faster), but the Poke Boat meets my needs best.