Submitted: 05-03-2002 by Alex McGruer

Marvelous boat in the water. I own a Capella, a Sealution and a couple of non descript kayaks. I used an Aquiterra Chinook for a couple of years and get to paddle pretty much every boat type out there. The NDK is my favourite in the water. That said, It is heavy, the day hatch leaks, the back hatch leaks, well something back there does. the seat is uncomfortable after eight or nine hours. The skeg controle is less than great and appears fragile. The finish is not as slick as some other boats , and lets get back to heavy. The weight is created by a much larger amount of glass in the lay up. This is for strength. I don't mind that because I like to paddle it, not take it for long walks. (That happens too though.) The small imperfections in the finish don't cause me any great pain , but if you want a smooth light work of art Eddyline Night Hawk is a well layed up and finished boat. I prefer my NDK though. This craft surfs well, handles quartering winds and seas well. Empty she is big and high for me to paddle against a strong wind. We were in less than 1 meter seas with 25 to 35 knot winds in our face. The lower profile boats fared slightly better. When we turned around and played in the waves the NDK came into its own. It handles much like my Capella but goes like hell. I rated it nine mostly on it charicteristics on the water. It remains heavy and Vacuum bagging might solve that. The weight does not matter a damn on the sea. This boat is new , A week old. I am tickled to death with it and have lots of plans for this summer.

I have a web page at http:/pages.ivillage.com/mcgruer if anyone wants to see what we paddle in.