Submitted: 05-02-2002 by RT

I know, it's not a hard shell kayak...but it never claimed to be. I just took my Sea Eagle on her maiden voyage and was satisfied with my first trip. It really only took 5-10 minutes to blow up with the foot pump. and after hooking up some seats and attaching the optional 'directional stabilizer', a friend and I paddled across a nearby lake.

Two 6' 180lb guys fit in the kayak/canoe comfortably. If I would have adjusted the straps on my seat more I could have put my legs straight out, so the interior has plenty of room. I haven't tried it without the rudder/stabilizer; with the stabilizer in place it tracked straight. I felt the 380x was a sturdy, reliable craft. Since the bottom has so much surface area you can't get moving that fast, but it turns ok and is comfortable. One negative is that it seems a bit wide for the type of strokes I wanted to do. Since you're not packed in like a sardine you've gotta pay for that comfort somehow!

I'll try to post a follow up when I do some summer paddling, but I predict this will be very enjoyable for some leisurely River Running and Class I/II action, with a little current to keep things interesting.

For someone looking for a recreational paddling solution, the 380x is a nice combination of comfort, stability, and portability.