Submitted: 04-30-2002 by Manie

After days of researching and hours of paddling, I have finally decided on a kayak for me. With me being a rather larger yaker, I needed a yak that was roomy, stable, maneuverable, and one that had a high carrying capacity.

When first looking, I kept adorning the sierra some reason. Though after I demo ride I defiantly had a sparkle in me eye. The boat seemed to track extremely well, and also even glided well when I would stop paddling. At first the boat seem to turn well, but once I learned to put it on an edge, I found that I could turn this yak on a dime, literally. Though the thing that caught my fancy the most was the large cockpit, with me being a large yaker (5'11" and 240 lbs. with 18 hips) I needed a yak with a lot of hip room. This boat seem to do this the best.

When purchasing, I ended up getting the Expedition edition for many reasons. For about $50 more, you get the rear entry hole with a NICE rubber cover and also a watertight foam bulkhead that provided flotation and watertight storage. I think this will be excellent for those camping trips and it should also pride me a place to store dry clothing, for those wet accidents.

Though the thing that made the final decision for me was that I will manly be using this yak for fishing, camping, and recreational use on shallow rocky rivers, such as the Shenandoah, James, and ect. That flows throughout Virginia. With this kind of use in mind, the flat boat of the Sierra, allows it to easily and stablaly glide over those rocks and boulders when a collision does occur.

Though this was the best choice for me, I would defiantly do a demo ride in a boat before buying, because the yak that I went to purchase and the yak that I bought were totally different boats.

If you are in the same category as me and looking for a similar yak, I would recommend that you look at the Pungo (deep water yak, but FAST), Big Critter (cheap, but sits bad), Swifty or Sparky (Small, but almost identical to Sierra), Delta (large shallow yak, but VERY STABLE)

For its rating I am giving it a 9, for the simple reason, it does not blow away its competitors in comparisons. So maybe next year perception will give it a better seat, more bungee straps on top, and a paddle holder included.

Northwater Paddle Sports: