Submitted: 04-18-2002 by teom5756

The Walden Scout is the 5th kayak I have owned; last fall I bought it as a leftover for $425; I selected the Scout for fishing in lakes/coastal protected waters (possibly bringing along a small canine companion in fresh water) - I avoid pushing this kayak to its limits in rough conditions & do not use a spray skirt - After aproximqately 5 hours on the water I liked the open cockpit; it provided good access to lunch & fishing gear and space to stretch my legs - Though the boat is short and wide, it did not feel tubbish at all - for me it actually handled better than my Walden Vista as far as tracking goes with speed about the same. I launched out of Rye Harbor NH and went out to the one mile marker in mid September; I have seen a number of anchors for $15. With a light weight anchor I might be able to avoid drifting with the wind & spend more time fishing or taking nature photos.