Submitted: 04-15-2002 by ezkeel

I have had my Nova 16 for about 6 years. It is the best thing I have ever done. I have the 57 lb. version, I think that is the R84. I am not gentle with this canoe at all, and yet it is holding up great. I do a lot of Winter canoeing (more than Summer) and many times I have to break through the ice that has formed across the river. I just ram the bow into the ice and then push the whole canoe up on, and then jump up and down inside the canoe until I finally break through and the canoe splashes back into the water, only to back up and do it again. (don't try this at home). I have broken though up to 2 1/2 to 3 inches of ice. I have done about 40 of these trips and the Nova 16 is holding up great. I have not paddled a lot of other canoes, so I cannot do comparative stability, but I do not believe I have to. During all of my river trips I use a river pole for about 75% of the trip. This means I am standing in my canoe for 3/4 of the time with a river pole dodging rocks. I have never fallin in yet. This may be because I have very good balance, but I have stood in a few other canoes and could never do what I do in the Mohawk. In the Summer, we take it out on the lake and "swim" with it. We purposely sink it, flip it over, and then try and balance on it's bottom. Good luck to those who try this (you can try this at home). You can stay on it's bottom for a few seconds, and then like it's alive, it flips you off. Great fun with the kids. However, back to stability. During the sinking process, I wanted to know my limits. I was amazed at how stable this Mohawk is. I can actually scoop water in over the gunwales, a little at a time without tipping over. Just try and tip your canoe that far on some summer day. Then for kicks I wondered if I could balance on the Gunwales. No problem. Now when we go to the lake, I get up on the gunwales and use that to dive off of. I am having the time of my life. What an investment. When or if it dies, I will buy another Mohawk Nova 16

Thunder Bay Tourism: