Submitted: 04-09-2002 by D Sillick

Everybody seems to say too much fluff about handling etc. so I'll stay away from that. I like this canoe. Buying it at the end of season in Canada with a great $US/$CN exchange rate and getting the sales tax refunded netted this out at $1342 US in October 1998. For a 55 lb beautiful, all ash gunwales, contour yoke, bow slider and kneeling thwart I think that can't be beat.

I love the seats. They are webbed with thick ash framing. They are curved downward in the front perfect for semi-kneeling (which I like). I also like the one piece ash yoke. I put 2 pieces of ensolite foam on my shoulder tops and the yoke works perfectly for me. I have a curved laminated yoke on my other canoe but I like the contour yoke on the winisk the best.

As far as choosing a canoe goes, take several trips borrowing and renting canoes to find what you like don't listen to anyone else. Pay attention to equipment people are using that are passing you. Ask them for advice.

For me it was the Winisk or a Minnesota II from We-noh-na. The Winisk was $600 cheaper. After 3.5 years I'm still totally happy with this boat. Now I'm looking for a 16 foot boat for more river use. Everybody thinks their boat is a 9 or 10.