Submitted: 03-27-2002 by BryanM

I bought a Gulfstream in glass after looking at a lot of boats. I am on the larger size 6'2" and aboat 240 lbs so most of the smaller performance oriented boats just were plain to small. I was looking for a british style boat with a day hatch and skegged. My fit problem is my upper thighs, to many years of weight lifting (along with to much beer) .The Romany is beautiful, but way small. The Poisidon (sp) is supposedly a large person Romany, but again was way to tight. The Gulfstream fits like a glove. I have enough room, even with my wetsuit and size 12s with footwear have plenty of room.

The boat has great initial and primary stability. It tracks well with out the skeg, but in windy conditions or choppy water the skeg puts the boat on rails. It is very nimble. The only negative is the wet ride, I was out today on Lake Washington winds were 15 to 20 mph with waves 1 to 2 ft and I took a lot of water over the bow. The hatches were bone dry.

The quality is excellent from what I can see, nice finish, smooth gel coat, no flaws or quality issues that I can detect. I replaced the stck back band with an Imersion research back band. The stock band is ineffective in my opionion. The boat is beautiful to look at and a pleasure to paddle, just what I was looking for. Overall rating 9.5/10.