Submitted: 03-26-2002 by kwikle
Just bought the Capella RM. I've owned a few other touring boats before this and consider myself an aggressive intermediate sea kayaker. I like big water and covering distance and the two perception boats I owned before this did not handle either of these too well. The Capella is very fast and very nimble in bigger water. It tracks very well for something as short as it is, 16'6". Like the feel of the cockpit and the backrest vs a seatback. The seat itself is seemingly identical (in shape) to the comfortable seats P&H puts in their other composite boats. I found it very comfortable. The boat rolls easily and the low aft deck facilitates a layback and sweep style I'm learning for use with the inuit paddle. The square hatches are a little goofy as are the color choices, but they seem to be there for functionality over fashion which does have its advantages. The welded bulkheads, the narrow beam, and fast hull, make this boat a true sea kayak, and more than just a touring boat in my opinion.

Short story is I've paddled a lot of polyethelene touring boats and this is the first one I'd actually recommend to someone who has some paddling experience under their belt, but not quite as much bread in their wallet.