Submitted: 03-21-2002 by lindquistadam

As an active single cockpit paddler, I missed not having my family with me on trips to lake superior. I met many people who were traveling with guided trips in the Libra XT and really was fearful of the monster size of this boat. After looking at many different brands, I decided that molded in center seat in the Libra XT offered some advantages for my situation. I took delevery last fall and my wife and I used it on our anniversary to paddle to Madline island for lunch. She loved it and so do I. The boat is very stable, quick and fun to paddle. My paddle stoke when sitting in the back is not as comfortable as when I am in my Current Designs extreme, but that is due to the large volume of boat around you. It is a different kind of paddle, but nice to have the fear factor of a less experienced paddler quelled so that you can enjoy their company.

A week after delivery I took the boat out with my paddling partner. He pronounced the boat an aircraft carrier and scoffed that it could be any fun. We skirted in and took the boat out for a shake down and were amazed at it. With strong paddlers this boat is incredibly fast and agile. It handles waves without a care and is stable as they come. We are already planning trips to include our wives and we are not concerned about their safety or ability to keep up. I still prefer the connectiveness of my Extreme, but think that if you have a spouse and child or dog that you want to include in your paddling adventures, you can't go wrong with this boat. I gave it a 10 for layup quality and design. It is not a 10 in handling, but it is a much different boat than a single and I doubt any double has the paddling characteristics as a single. I can say that even my snobbish paddling partner thinks it is a great boat.