Submitted: 03-20-2002 by dickvipp
The Crossover is almost a great idea. It can be a fun boat and it does a lot of things well, but it comes up a bit short in a couple of areas that could be readily corrected in manufacture.

First of all the, skeg can make a huge difference in tracking. Granted, good paddle and lean techniques can make it unnecessary. But, if the form is off a bit, the skeg really makes flat water paddling easier. River tripping could be improved if the skeg could be raised and dropped from the cockpit. That way, it could be dropped in flat water water and raised in rapids, where it might interefere with maneuverability or be yanked off while dragging across a rock.

I second the backband comments already stated by other reviewers. In initially discussing the potential purchase of the kayak with a dealer, he wanted to include a new backband in the purchase - at full price. If no one likes the backband, then perhaps Dagger should just leave it off completely so buyers do not have to buy two of them.

The most perplexing thing I have experienced is that my Crossover is developing cupping in the bottom of the hull, right under the cockpit. There was some cupping evident when the boat was new, but it has gotten progressively worse. The dealer explanation of the problem - I had left it in the sun. The dealer advice on how to fix it - leave it in the sun and the cupping may so away!!?? First of all, the boat has never been left in the sun (I store it in a garage), and secondly, how can the same action be both a cause and a cure? The FAQ link on the Dagger web site has a statement that pretty well goes along with the dealer line. I'm not particularly a happy camper on this one.

The Crossover is not the only Dagger product I have bought. My experiences with their products is "almost, but not quite".