Submitted: 03-19-2002 by SB

I purchased the Sirocco as my first cockpit boat after paddling SOTs for about a year. I wanted a reasonably fast and stable touring boat for (primarily) intracoastal paddling. After much research, I settled on the Sirocco. I've paddled it now for about 8 hours, so my limited experience in the boat, and my perspective must be noted. I'm 6'1", 180#, and the boat fits extremely well. The thigh braces and footpegs make for a nice snug fit, while the cockpit opening allows me to lift my knees up out of the boat for rest. The initial stability is very good, and it responds nicely to an edged turn. The skeg works well, and when down, the boat tracks quite well. When up, the edged turn with bow sweep moves the boat around quickly. I've been out in 2 foot swells and 20 kt winds. It handles the bigger water fine; responds to sprinting nicely allowing me to catch some wind waves; but does tend to weathercock a bit. Playing with the skeg seems to reduce this tendency. I've paddled with a couple of experienced paddlers in Sea Lions and had no trouble keeping up with them. I'm extrmemly satisfied with the Sirocco at this early writing and feel the boat will respond well as my skills increase. Given my inexperience, pay no attention to the numerical rating; it's the description that counts.