Submitted: 03-19-2002 by David Kirk

My family have 3 Cape Horns (me, my mum, my dad) and my bro has an Alto. I think that this is a great kayak, the stability is the best you can get without being too wide to paddle in comfortably and there is loads of room (I am 6ft 5 and there is still more room). Although not the fastest of sea kayaks it is a worth while compromise for the better stability. Also it turns very well, i am able to turn it round with 2 and a bit sweep strokes and i have never been able to do that in any other sea kayak. I recently went to Holy Island in wales and it handled the overfalls there very well. There were 5 knot currants and very large eddys from round a headland that looked very daunting but seemed quite easy to pass thanks too the Cape Horns srability and maneuverability. I also passed through a 6ft passage that looked like a white water river with relative ease. There are a few problems but nothing that cant be sorted with a little bodging. The rear hatch leaked a bit but this is due to the neoprene hatch covers being stretched at the edges and so loosing thier water proofing, this can be fixed by applying a silicon water proofing agent. Also the foot rests are a bit small if you have big feet as they only support the ball of your foot and after alot of kayaking it can hurt. I fixed this by adding a heel support to the foot rest. Ooverall I love this boat, it can handle even the roughest of conditions well and has enough space for small expeditions. Its speed means that up to and over 40km are achieveable in a day. I recon it's one of the best plastic kayaks you can buy.