Submitted: 02-18-2002 by Andrew

I've paddled a Dart for over a year now in all sorts of weather here on BC's southwest coast. I give it an 8 as an all-round boat not because I have reservations about it, but simply because no boat is perfect. First the good things. The Sea Dart is comfortable and versatile (like all SOTs vs. sit-insides). It offers a very dry ride. It tracks _very_ well, even in tricky winds. It is stable, even in confused and rebounding seas. It has sufficient storage for multi-day trips (I started as a backpacker, so I pack efficiently). And it's fast for its length: with a bit of effort, I have kept up with a friend in a 17' glass boat over the course of a day.

Now the bad. Its small hatches and shallow cargo areas limit the size of drybag you can fit in (I divide all my gear into 10 liter bags). It doesn't exactly turn on a dime, though an aggressive lean will help things. The cockpit will probably not fit a paddler much larger than I am (6'2"). It isn't feather-light (I have the original version - 63 pounds) and handling it on shore can require some work.

Do I like it? Absolutely!! I have covered many miles solo in the last year, in every season and in widely varying conditions, and the Sea Dart has been comfortable and dependable.