Submitted: 02-15-2002 by Richwest

I'm new to kayaking. I wanted a kayak that would be stable and big enough to take my wife on (she hates the water). I free-dive for Abalone and wanted a dive kayak. When my brother-in-law and I took the Pairadise out for a spin for the first time, we were surprised at the tippiness. We changed places to put the smaller one in front but it was still easy to roll over. I tried the single seat in the middle and found it to be more stable, but the front did tend to drift and required much correction once started. I tried a single seat in the rear and found it to me much more stable and easier to paddle. The kayak steers well from the rear seat and was much faster then. That left a lot of kayak in the water ahead of me. I'm 5'6", 175 pounds. This is a poly boat and though I can lift it without a problem, it would get real heavy if I had to carry it far (66 lb.). I'd recommend renting several kayaks before choosing one to purchase.