Submitted: 02-13-2002 by Will

I have owned the Kevlar version for two years. It was my second canoe -- my first being a cheap, heavy, plastic monster. I paddle about once a week, normally on quiet water. I usually paddle solo and take along my 5 year old son and sometimes my 9 year old daughter. The weight of the boat is very nice. And, like others have mentioned, this boat is great to turn around backwards for solo use, giving the kid(s) a large play area. The kids in the front trim the boat nicely. With just my son, or solo, I often turn the boat backwards and sit on the floor of the canoe. The boat feels really good sitting on the floor, but shorter people may have trouble. (I am 6-2, 195 lbs.)

Overall, great if you bring small children along, but I'm still searching for the perfect solo canoe that will make it easier to keep up with the kayakers and tandem canoists. The Savage River Otegon has caught my eye, but I have never paddled it. Any reviewers out there?