Submitted: 01-31-2002 by softsmithjr
My wife and I both have Blackwater kayaks that we are VERY happy with which is odd since I am 6'1" and 250 and she is only 5'3" and 120. That shows you how versitile this boat is. Since I am a more aggressive paddler I immediately tried modifying the cockpit with foam pads for bracing. Quite a chore with the high volume cockpit of the Blackwater but then an associate at Kittery Traiding Post in Maine showed me two saddle kits that fit most of the larger Dagger kayaks. Why Dagger doesn't promote these for the Blackwater is beyond me because for a few dollar investment and the time it takes to drill two holes you end up with a completely braceable boat, suitable for Class II possibly III whitewater if you so desire. When I moved up to a longer glass touring boat for off shore sea kayaking I could not part with the Blackwater. It does what it is intended to do and you can't beat the price. ps. I had the same complaint about the skeg which I solved very easily by adding a few inches of stretch cable to be able to deploy it to a greater depth than the factory setting which is ok for my petite wife but didn't work for me.