Submitted: 11-04-1998 by crk

This kayak was designed to be capable of handling easy class II whitewater and coastal cruising. I think it does a good job of providing a stable platform to learn on. I have used it on the rapids of the Chattahoochee River in Atlanta, and on the Ocean in Jacksonville. Since it is made of plastic, you don't have to be concerned with hitting rocks, or with damage from pounding surf. It is a blast to paddle in the waves and eskimo rolls well, as long as you keep your head down. The construction is solid and, even though it is a third the price of many popular fiberglass designs, Wilderness Systems has paid attention to craftsmanship. I'm inclined to choose a Wilderness Systems glass boat, probably the Shenai, for my next step. In closing, though the Seacret is relatively heavy and a little slow, it is a fun boat to paddle and well worth the price. I did add some hip pads to get a tighter fit. Your butt stays dry in the seat, and there is plenty of leg room. I would recommend this boat to someone wanting a stable platform, flexibility in use, and very reasonable price. One note, since the boat is "rockered" for manueverability in rapids, it takes a little finesse to keep it tracking. Good Job Wilderness Systems!