Submitted: 01-28-2002 by heineman

I've had my fiberglass Expedition for 3 years... I started out as a beginner (this was my first boat!) and it was way too tipsy for a beginner. However, after I took a rolling class and began to learn how to lean and brace and the rest, I became a happy camper (actually a happy kayaker). It has a huge amount of storage and is fast even when loaded. You do need the rudder when windy since it is a rather high volume boat and will catch the wind. It is a comfortable boat for long trips. You will need to add padding to the knee braces unless you are very large. I am 5' 11" and weigh 190. I added about a 5/8" pad to the knee braces. It has a round hull which makes it fast and easy to lean and roll for such a large boat.

Not designed for playing in the surf... not that maneuverable... if you want to play, buy a British Boat like the Valley Avocet or the Current Designs Slipstream... I am waiting to try the new Current Designs British style Andromeda... large enough for expeditions and perhaps good in the surf. If I were going to go on a true expedition and cover lots of miles with lots of gear, the Expedition would be my choice. I repeat, this is not a beginner boat. Know how to roll and brace and lean before buying this boat.