Submitted: 01-21-2002 by Dilligaf0220

I have owned my glass Bob for four seasons now, and am generally happy with it. If you're looking for a do-all solo/tandem tripping canoe, this design is superb. Unlike other designs that focus one area (speed, capacity, tracking, manueverability) this boat is more than adequate at all of them. With it's large beam and tumblehome, it feels bigger than it is, more solid. But it still handles well in small twisty creeks. It definitely likes to be trimmed bow heavy, even with a sliding bow seat, an extra 20lbs. up front improves handling noticeably. With the big beam, capacity is outstanding for a 15' canoe, I can take everything I need for a solo ten day trip, and I pack a lot of gear. I paddled an Osprey this summer and after the Bob I felt claustrophobic. It's also a very dry boat, never had any problems shipping water and I'm not queasy about paddling in big seas. It can sometimes feel tublike in a headwind though, especially lightly loaded.

The design is great, however the manufacturing is not. My boat was four months late, and even then I had to reject two hulls because of manufacturing defects. I've talked to other owners of Bob's and this used to be common to glass/kevlar boats, however I don't know if this is still the situation. Royalex hulls seem to be fine. Try to pick up your boat at the factory, and inspect the hull THOROUGHLY before accepting it. Don't have it delivered to your home, there could be problems and extra costs returning it. Once again, for a high capacity tripping solo/tandem 15', this can be an excellent boat.