Submitted: 01-16-2002 by DW

My son and I rented Ocean Kayak Scrambler and Hobie Mauis for a couple of years before buying a Maui. We felt the boat was a little more comfortable than the Scrambler. We have taken this boat in the bay, surf them constantly, and have had them in 1+ level whitewater. I love this boat! In the surf it tends to follow the line you put it into and turns are nearly impossible. As an all purpose boat it fit the bill. I added thigh straps and we both have backrests. Because it is plastic we have no concerns when we are out at San Onofre or in the Channel Islands. As we grow, we have added Wave Sport and Riot to the stable. I intend to add a touring boat, perhaps next year. The only way to replace my Maui is with two boats, one exclusively for surf and another for touring and camping. Until I have that much money, the Maui is for me.