Submitted: 01-14-2002 by gproaction

Performa Kayak, Mayan Seas, Fiberglass-- 16+ feet. I enjoyed paddling the Performa design. They have accomplished what much larger and richer kayak companies have spent a lot more for. The boat is surprisingly quick for such a short length and tracks like it was on rails. I especially liked that because my beloved Perception Eclipse needs a lot of rudder. It looks as though even a very short person could handle it. Thigh bracing is excellent. The initial stability is poor and made me feel insecure, until I learned to trust the secondary stability, which is good. I wasn't in the boat long enough to know how it "wears" after a long day of paddling, nor did I put it through rough water paces. Fit and finish were excellent, especially the recessed fittings and precision grade fastenings. The rear hatch cover lining was a little hard to install. I'd like to see what a longer version of the boat could do.